- To combat loss of plant genetic diversity through identification of collection gaps, exploration and collection of germplasm.
- To enhance conservation of plant genetic resources through complimentary methods and technologies ex-situ and in-situ
- To ensure that germplasm conserved is characterized evaluated and made available to users.
- To ensure that plant genetic resources data and information is well documented and disseminated to diverse users.
- To add value to conservation of plant genetic resources by addressing specific problems through adaptive, applied and strategic research.
- To develop the necessary skills for conservation and use of plant genetic resources.
- To catalyze the development of policies governing the conservation and use of plant genetic resources.